Nassau, The Bahamas – Tourism high performers received a spectacular show of gratitude January 30, when winners of the 13th Annual Cacique Awards were revealed at the awards ceremony at the Rainforest Theatre.
The nation’s highest tourism award was equally distributed between winners from urban centers and tranquil island settings, as winners were announced from New Providence, Grand Bahama and two Family Islands. By the end of the evening, seven public, hotel and music category awards went to Nassau residents. Four went to Grand Bahama residents, three to Abaco and two to Exuma.
The Ministry of Tourism and Aviation and the Bahamas Hotel Association also acknowledged international partners for their contributions to tourism in the Bahamas.
Transportation category winner Glender Archer-Knowles set the tone for the evening. As she received the first award for the evening, she emphasized the service theme frequently advanced by the Ministry of Tourism and Aviation. Ms. Archer-Knowles pointed out that it was her parents who ingrained healthy ethical and work values in her and her siblings.
“They instilled service and community in their children,” she said.
Winners of the 13th Annual Cacique Awards are:
- Transportation – Glender Archer-Knowles, Abaco
- Human Resources Development – Donald Glass, Grand Bahama
- Sports, Leisure & Events – Ambrose Gouthro, Grand Bahama
- Creative Arts – Steve Dodge, Abaco
- Handicraft – Eloise Smith, Nassau
- Sustainable Tourism – Kingsley Holbert, Exuma
- Minister’s Award for Hospitality – Peggy Thompson, Abaco
- Lifetime Achievement – John “Billy Joe” Gilbert, Grand Bahama
- Manager of the Year – Janet Stubbs Rolle, Four Seasons; Exuma
- Employee of the Year – Standley Williams, Pelican Bay; Grand Bahama
- Chef of the Year – Carolyn Elaine Bowe, Wyndham Nassau Resort; Nassau
- Supervisor of the Year – Kevin McKenzie, Atlantis; Nassau
- Sales Executive of the Year – Myron Jones, Sheraton Nassau Beach; Nassau
- Hotelier of the Year – Russell Miller, Ritz Carlton; Nassau
- People’s Choice Secular Music – Kenneth “KC” Wallace-Whitfield, Nassau
- People’s Choice Gospel Music – Minister Charles Drake and CMA Ensemble
- International Travel Writer – Jean-Luc Marty, Geo Magazine; France
- International Tour Operator – Steffen Boehnke, TUI; Germany
- Cruise Line of the Year – Norwegian Cruise Line
- Airline of the Year – British Airways