<<< Minister of National Security Tommy Turnquest [R]and Commissioner of Police Reginald Ferguson [L].
Just what is the government doing about this crime wave, which is about to drown us? Is there a plan in place to address it? Wasn’t the new commissioner the right man for the job and wasn’t he supposed to have had, all the solutions? From where I sit, it seems like commissioner Ferguson doesn’t have a clue as to where he should begin.
Tommy Turnquest, in a Nassau Guardian front-page article today (25th August), inferred that crime only escalated within the last six weeks and that prior to six weeks ago we were doing, no so badly. Have you ever heard of such hogwash in all your lives? Crime has been an escalating problem since the FNM took office, May 2nd 2007 and hasn’t slowed one bit. I don’t know where Tommy has been living, since he has been getting paid to do the job as the Minister responsible for solving crime in the country. The ratio for gruesome murders, as of August, stands consistently at about eight per month or at least two per week. At this rate, at year’s end, the country would have recorded one hundred and four(104) murders or 28-30% increase over 2008. Figures like these are not to be taken lightly, as Minister Turnquest seems to be doing. He stated that by the end of August, the police are expected to report on the immediate strategies they are taking, in an effort to address the crime problem; really Mr. Minister? Well, tell us, what have they been doing since you took charge of that institution almost three years ago? What has the new commissioner, who was supposed to have all the answers, been doing since he took control many months ago? Caesar out partying, while Rome is burning?
The Force is demoralized, Mr. Turnquest, and the blame for this sad state of affairs rests squarely at the doorsteps of your Free National Movement government. Police Officers are lacking motivation. They feel like, why bother work diligently and hard when, at the end of the day, with the stroke of his pen, Ingraham could give the word and all of them could be sent into forced, premature retirement. Their moral is destroyed and the FNM government, by virtue of the damage they have already done, lacks the credibility to inspire them any further and so we have a Force of almost 4000 officers who are just marking time, waiting for their names to be called and their separation packages to be given them.
I am aware that the commissioner does not command the respect of the force, neither the respect of the officers serving under his command. They tell me that he is a very crude and disgusting bully who is unapproachable, and who doesn’t know how to deal with his men and women in uniform. He is suspected within the force, I am told, of allegedly destroying the evidence relating to the illegal possession of a gun, involving a close member of his family who, I am told further, was allegedly arrested for the same. Believe me, true or false, this disjointed, demoralized police force, under the command of this disliked commissioner of police, commanded by this very naive minister of national security (Tommy Turnquest) will not succeed in doing anything, meaningful, toward finding any kind of solutions to the country’s crime dilemma; not in the sorry state they are in.
Forrester J Carroll J.P
Freeport, Grand Bahama
26TH August 2009
What is amazing here in The Bahamas is the fact that the leadership of the police can come out to hold a press conference and with all the members of the wutless media present, yet, none of the following questions were presented.
1) Commissioner/Minister what is the current status of Andre Birbal – the man who molested more than 20 boys at a school in Eight Mile Rock?
2) Commissioner/Minister what is the current status of Madison Pugh? Has the extradition request filed yet and will she be returning back to the Bahamas?
3) Commissioner/Minister what is the current status on the 15 year-old who was allegedly MURDERED in the South Beach Police station? Was it really Murder or Suicide?
4) Commissioner/Minister what was the results of the final autopsy report on the 5 month old baby, which was due to be disclosed one month ago, yet nothing is said to date on the matter?
5) Commissioner/Minister is their division in the HIGH COMMAND of the RBPF? A police staff association chairman believes it is what say you? The rift between officers so bad, one senior officer delivered a pimp slap to another during a meeting of the high command. Also, are officers not under investigation cellphones tapped?
We could go one and on all day, but when you have the WUTLESS media in the room, they are so WUTLESS, all they did was come out of that HIGH LEVEL press conference to spew more lies!
WHAT A DISGRACE! WHAT A DUTTY DISGRACE! The country is SWIMMING IN WUTLESSNESS!