Trinidad — John said yesterday that by the end of the week, President George Maxwell Richards will have his resignation letter.
However, he says he prefers not to comment on the matter before the President is informed, since he believes it is inappropriate for the public or anyone else to know before the President.
He also confirmed that he will be leaving the judiciary to take up a position as Appeal Court judge in the Bahamas.
Justice John’s resignation comes after more than a decade in the judiciary, where he currently sits as an Appeal Court judge, which is among the most senior positions after the Chief Justice.
His tenure is not without controversy, however. He was a key defender of former chief justice Satnarine Sharma, when he was accused of attempting to pervert the course of justice in 2006.
Justice John was thrust into the limelight when details of a call he made from Sharma’s home phone was leaked to the media, in the attempt by the State to arrest Sharma in violation of a court injunction in 2006.
Sharma was subsequently vindicated of any wrongdoing by the Mustill tribunal in 2007.
And only last week, Justice John was again thrust into public controversy after his strong criticisms of two Tunapuna magistrates, Anna Ryan and Jo-Anne Connor, for handing down what he termed excessive sentences. He had suggested that they resign if they did not understand the country’s laws.
The Magistrates and Criminal Bar Associations criticised Justice John’s comments and by last Friday, Chief Justice Ivor Archie apologised for the comments and said they were not his own sentiments.
It is understood that Justice John’s resignation has nothing to do with this controversy.