Prime Minister and Minister of Finance the Rt. Hon. Hubert Ingraham presented the 2011/2012 Budget Communication to Parliament, announcing a budget whose major emphasis is jobs and skills development.
- $25 million for the National Job Readiness and Training Programme – targeting 3,000 Bahamians for paid skills training for up to 1 year.
- 200 job openings in the Public Sector (100 for college graduates, 50 for high school graduates with BGCSEs and 50 for high school graduates with only BJCs)
- Subsidies to private sector companies that hire unemployed persons.
- Civil servant Increments to be paid and salary scales opened.
- Small & Medium Sized business exempt from Business License Fees through 2012.
- $1.5 million for the Jump Start Programme – Providing up to $7,500 to persons aged 30 and over to start their own businesses.
- Duty reductions on food items.