PNP wins 8 seats, PDM 7
By Hayden Boyce
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief
In what was the closest general elections in the history of the Turks and Caicos Islands, the Progressive National Party (PNP) has reclaimed the government, winning eight (8) seats to the People’s Democratic Movement’s (PDM) seven (7).
The PNP’s razor-thin victory in the Friday November 9th poll, came in the form of six constituency seats and two At-Large (country-wide) seats.
The PDM won four (4) constituency seats and three (3) At-Large seats.
PDM Leader Oswald Skippings, a former chief minister, suffered a shocking defeat, placing eighth among 11 At-Large candidates.
When the votes in the 10 electoral districts were tallied just after 1 a.m. on Saturday November 10th, the PNP won six seats: George Lightbourne in Grand Turk North; Norman Saunders in South Caicos; DonHue Gardiner in North and Middle Caicos; Akeirra Missick in Leeward; Portia Stubbs-Smith in The Bight; and Amanda Missick in Cheshire Hall/Richmond Hills.
The PDM won four constituency seats: Delroy Williams in Wheeland; Sean Astwood in Five Cays; Goldray Ewing in Blue Hills; and Edwin Astwood in Grand Turk South. The PDM won three of the At-Large seats (Sharlene Cartwright, Derek Taylor and Josephine Connolly), while the PNP won with Dr. Rufus Ewing and Washington Misick.
The overall election results were delayed because the At-Large numbers had to be recounted and the final results were only announced at 5:30 p.m on Saturday November 10th.
The provisional standings of the At-Large seats are as follows:
1. Sharlene Cartwright Robinson – PDM – 3,427 votes (provisional)
2. Rufus Ewing – PNP – 3,252 votes (provisional)
3. Derek Taylor – PDM – 3,191 votes (provisional)
4. Washington Misick – PNP – 3,107 votes (provisional)
5. Josephine Connolly – PDM – 3,023 votes (provisional)
6. Carolos Simons – PNP – 2,899 votes (provisional)
7. Samuel Harvey – PDM – 2,896 votes (provisional)
8. Oswald Skippings – PDM – 2,894 votes (provisional)
9. Wayne Garland – PNP – 2,806 votes (provisional)
10. Royal Robinson – PNP – 2,700 votes (provisional)
11. Oswald Simons – IND – 233 votes (provisional)
PDM leader Oswald Skippings has asked for a recount and this will take place on Monday November 12th at Dillon Hall, Grand Turk.