Nassau, Bahamas — Bahama Press thought it right and proper to hold our judgment on the Elizabeth By-Election until a ruling was handed down by the Justices in the Election Court. They have spoken and now so will we deliver our edict on the whole matter weighing all presentations carefully free from bias.
The day Perry Christie appointed Obie ‘SNITCH’ Wilchcombe to the committee to elect Leo Ryan Pinder we felt trouble was the road ahead for the PLP. Christie, we believe in his weak judgment as leader of the PLP, failed to understand you shouldn’t appoint a loser to organize campaigns. As weak as we perceive Christie to be, we are sure and certain had he taken the reigns of the campaign brutal assaults would have been laid upon the FNM. This is the first thing we needed to get off our chests as we sat quiet all through these Elizabeth events.
Secondly, we can confirm Duane Sands was a bad candidate. How could a professional doctor, who must deal with people on a daily basis, be heard calling people in Elizabeth ‘Greedy’ as was reported in the Tribune. We had concerns with those sentiments from the beginning and note here a snobbish personality has no place in Bahamian politics!
Bahamas Press was also concerned with the level of political trickery and treachery seen in Elizabeth on and before the February poll. Government leaders found the need to craft ‘vicked’ political intimidation on the over 4,000 plus registered residents.
- 1) The public purse was used extensively and shamefully in an attempt to BUY the people of Elizabeth.
- 2) Cabinet meetings were held in Elizabeth regularly leading up to polling day.
- 3) FNM operatives untrained in election procedures were appointed as presiding officers at polling stations.
- 4) Every Cabinet minister was in Elizabeth on Election Day neglecting the people’s business. They were all hanging around the doors in Lizzy intimidating voters.
- 5) Ministers Brent Symonette and Tommy Turnquest stood guard for almost 41 hours cajoling poll workers, eying the returning officer and manhandling the recount exercise. Could you imagine that? The Bahamas must be the laughing stock of the region to allow such to happen.
And as a result in the end what did we see? We saw Jack Thompson the Returning Officer for the poll ‘vickedly’ bent as he succumbed to the pressure before him. It is purported that Jack is hitting raw bourbon, which carries his name, ‘Jack Daniels’. He now appears to be a broken man.
On the PLP end, we saw the infighting, lack of cohesion and unpurified support for the candidate and an almost invisible face of the leader who only months before was on every television and radio station in the country protecting his leadership post.
Christie engaged chaotic losers to run Ryan’s campaign who seem to hope he would lose. Some we are told, never returned polling information into polling centers of the party and failed to canvass their assigned sections of the community. And some MPs never raised their voices one note to advise PLPs to vote for Pinder. They gave no money, raised no money and in their dark unanswered prayers sought defeat for the man endorsed by BP. We will deal with these unsavory characters soon.
The PLP campaign masters offered not a single press support on where they were going or what they were doing to effectively alert their bewildered followers. Had not Pinder grab the reigns of his machine, Duane Sands would have been confirmed the winner on polling day.
Our final point on this Elizabeth episode deals with Errol Bethel. Bahamas Press found the Parliamentary Commissioner GUILTY for the chaos and mayhem Bahamians now face with their electoral process.
- 1) He failed to correct and fix the errors pointed out by the Election Court in the Pinewood ruling.
- 2) He failed to oversee the competent training of officials within his department.
- 3) He failed to make sure persons registered were properly transferred.
- 4) His office had disallowed the proper vetting of constituents particularly in the case of voter “F” knowing full well that she resided in the Elizabeth constituency.
- 5) Errol Bethel is tired, incapable, outdated and to put it bluntly has been used up enough by Christie and Ingraham. Bethel must be sent home IMMEDIATELY and not serve another day on the public purse. He has failed the Bahamian people and should be fired by them for failing to protect the last tenant of our sovereign country, REAL DEMOCRACY!
Finally we say it is a good thing to see the people of Elizabeth sitting pretty with a new VOICE IN PARLIAMENT. The protracted delay was unnecessary. Hubert Ingraham is still the Prime Minister of the Bahamas and Perry Christie is still leader of the Opposition. WHAT A SHAME WE ARE STILL STUCK WITH THESE TWO MONGRELS! The election meant nothing; changed nothing, did nothing but wasted public time and money.
Errol Bethel should be fired! The FNM has no SHAME for the wastage they delivered and the PLP needs CHANGE! However, despite all this, we are happy to now know Leo Ryan Pinder has a new voice in the country and we are pleased to see finally he has cut Papa ‘bahind’!
And by the way where is SELFISH MALCOLM ADDERLEY? He too has no SHAME!